PDA

View Full Version : Clamps

caseyssugarshack93
12-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Hello, Does Anyone know where i can get really good hose clamps and possibly for a good price. Where do you guys buy yours?

markct
12-25-2010, 12:37 PM
i have found the hose clamps in 10 packs from lowes to be of very good quality, and at a reasonable price. had a few around from tractor supply that were junk and stripped out easy, and some from the autoparts store that were only part stainless,the screw and housing were steel. the lowes ones take the torque well, and while your there pick up one of the t handle hose clamp torque wrenches they sell for like 6 bucks, well worth the money and takes the guess work outa it, dont have to worry to go a little too much and strip them like happens, but i was surprised that it does make them tighter than i usualy did make them i think

Haynes Forest Products
12-25-2010, 01:30 PM
I dont use hose clamps We use the hose crimps that you get at a good sprinkler supply. Will not leak or pull off and doesnt have a dead spo.t Will work well in freezing cold:)

Amber Gold
12-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Casey, look at the December Journal...this topic was discussed. I'd switch over to Oetiker clamps. They're muuuch cheaper and easier to install than hose clamps.

Haynes Forest Products
12-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Plus if you use hose clamps make sure the screw is SS it sucks to have them rust out and break.

farmall h
12-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Nate, look on McMastercarr.com website under Oetiker clamps. They come in bags of 100. I have not bought any for sugaring but I do buy them for my workplace. I'm not sure if you have to buy the crimp tool for them or not. Maybe Amber Gold could answer that for you. Very strong clamp! At work we install them on hose that is inflated beyond 150 psi and are subjected to 215 degree heat and never pop off. I will be gett'n some soon.:)

tuckermtn
12-28-2010, 05:11 PM
I looked up oetiker clamps on mcmastercarr and didn't find them. they do have crimp clamps but there are three or more options. Which ones? single, double, 360 coverage, etc.. I picked up some at HD last night (360 coverage) but they are about the same price as reg clamps and the ones I picked up didn't fit (my fault)

so I guess I need help - what is the right size for doing 3/4" mainline with a fitting in it? (specific part number?) do you use single crimp, double crimp or 360 closure? where can I get a bag of 100? and yes do I need the tool?

chipa
12-28-2010, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=tuckermtn;123424]I looked up oetiker clamps on mcmastercarr and didn't find them. they do have crimp clamps but there are three or more options. Which ones? single, double, 360 coverage, etc.. I picked up some at HD last night (360 coverage) but they are about the same price as reg clamps and the ones I picked up didn't fit (my fault)

so I guess I need help - what is the right size for doing 3/4" mainline with a fitting in it? (specific part number?) do you use single crimp, double crimp or 360 closure? where can I get a bag of 100? and yes do I need the tool?[/QUOTEY

You should be able to pick up bags of 10 pinch clamps(3/4 or 1") at lowes or HD.You can get bags of 100 at John Deere landscaping in manchvegas.The tool to close them is a pair of end nippers.

Amber Gold
12-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Chip has it right.

Eric, I think the ones you bought are for PEX tubing which are specially made for that and require a special tool to install.

tuckermtn
12-29-2010, 04:42 AM
thanks- I'll give JD landscapes a call...

Haynes Forest Products
12-29-2010, 09:36 AM
The end Knippers that Chipa mentioned as the tool to close the clamp is close. The tool for the pinch clamps looks just like end knippers BUT they have longer handles and the face of the tool is dukk so you dont cut the clamp during install. They also sell a set that takes less force like a bolt cutter. Side cutters dont work they twist the clamp and they break.

green4310
02-03-2011, 08:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/CLAMPS-Oetiker-Steples-Ear-S-S-37-6-x-1-3-8-10-pkg-/400191959554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2d4cb202

Browse around eBay. You can get clamps and tool quite reasonably. I've had good luck with them.

danno
02-04-2011, 05:53 PM
I just saw the pinch clamps and tool at Loews the other day. They were in the rack with the gray platic barb fittings we use for mainline.

maple flats
02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Lowes is right. I have used theirs for 3 yrs now, never a failure. Where I have high tension I double clamp it. Lowes has the crimper too, it works very easy and far faster that screw clamps and no leaks and cheaper too. It takes very few clamps before you pay for the tool in savings. At lowes, clamps are like $3.29/10 pk

paul
02-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Fastenal Stainless steel hose clamps cheapest iv`e found

tuckermtn
02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
will say I love the crimp oetiker clamps...fast and simple....like maple flats I double up the higher tensioned ones...