PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoes

tessiersfarm
12-24-2010, 08:19 PM
How many of you guys wear snowshoes? I am looking for some to work in. I currently have traditional wood and rawhide with rubber bindings. After a couple weeks of using them every day they sag and flop around on my feet, due to stretching. I would like to treat myself to a new pair of aluminum showshoes. My local logging supplier sells Faber, which would be my preference but I am open to about anything. I wear them every day for several weeks while maintaining, tapping and collecting from my sugar bush. There is a fair amount of side hill, some quite steep. Weight will be between 200 and 250 lbs depending on what I am carrying, less while breaking trails, more on packed trails. I figure I go about 4 miles per day while collecting. I never knew how complicated snowshoes were until I stared looking for a new pair (or expensive for that matter but that is less of an issue)

Thanks

nas
12-24-2010, 09:09 PM
You won't regret spending the money on a good pair of aluminum snowshoes. Get a set with good toe picks if you spend a lot of time on steep hills. Your traditional shoes will look great on the sugar house wall.:)

Nick

maplefrank
12-24-2010, 09:12 PM
i have some homemade bear paws,wih rope webbng , they were made by a sugarmaker, he steams them while boiling......wouldn't trade them for anything

gmcooper
12-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Not sure this will be of much help but I finally bought a new pair of aluminum shoes a couple winters ago for about the same reason. I went with a smaller size, just under my weight to keep them a bit small and easier to manuver around the trees and tubing. When snow gets deep enough for snowshoes I have a number of places that I am stepping over tubing and mainlines. After the first trip I'm usually not breaking trail as much as just retracing my tracks. So far it has worked out great. More than the brand I think finding a binding that your comfortable with is more important. Our neighbor has some nice $$$ ones but the bindings are a pain.

dnap63
12-24-2010, 09:21 PM
I bought a pair of aluminum snowshoes last winter, they were a lifesaver when it came to tapping. Expensive, about $180. but money well spent

Haynes Forest Products
12-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Having a good pair is well worth the money. I hate walking and having one foot fall thru the snow:mad: I like the ones with the ratchet straps so there easy to get on. Easy to turn on and get around the trees.

Bucket Head
12-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Haynes, do you have a photo of the ones you have, with the ratchet? I know nothing about snow shoes, but also thought it would'nt be a bad idea to have some. I know there are hundreds of them out there, but I can see where the lightest and smallest ones you can get away with would be more desirable for what were doing with them.

Steve

Thad Blaisdell
12-25-2010, 05:20 AM
I use ones that I bought from cabelas.... I cant remember the specific name off hand but they have rachet bindings and they have the meanest looking toe picks and more under where your foot goes that I could find. That is why I bought those. I do not regret it.

maple flats
12-25-2010, 06:44 AM
I have 3 pair and each has their own use. I find the bearpaws in the aluminum frame easiest to get around. Even though I weigh about 210-240 depending on what I am carrying, that pair is for up to 200 and works good. If I was always breaking trail I'd use one of my traditional ones with a tail but they are harder to do lots of turning. I do not get along with conventional bindings because I am not as flexable as I used to be and sometimes I like to put the shoes on and off frequently as I work and as I pack down a work area, so I ordered a set of Bob Maki rubber bindings last year, which used to come in just one size. I bought them thru Northwest Trappers supply, but they did not fit on my size 13 Muck boots. I wrote a letter the the vendor and they actually requested a new size be made by Maki. They got the new XL this fall and I ordered them. They now have the XL even though it does not show in their catalog. Just email them from their website and ask, same price I think as the regular size. If you try these bindings I'm thinking if you wear an insulated boot size 10 or larger you want the XL.This type of binding has a tab on the rear and you just slide your toe into the front pocket, streatch the rubber loop onto your heal and walk, no fumbling and very quick and easy to use. I paid about $32 + ship.
Correction, I just checked the website, under misc/bindings and they now list 3 sizes med @ 30.95, L at 31.95 and XL at 36.95.
This company is good to work with, how many others these day would persue a request for a size bigger than existing max? And Maki listened. However I could not get them last year, Maki said they would make them new for this winter and they did.

Flat47
12-25-2010, 06:48 AM
I've got some GV brand 9"x30" that are great. Aluminum frame with ratchet bindings. I've used them for tapping and cutting wood year after year after year. They're the only ones I've found that I can work the bindings with my gloves on. Very stable with some aggressive cleats on the underside. I'll try and post some pics tonight. For 250 lbs, though, I'd reccomend 10"x32". Try them on and see if they bang your shins. I tried that size and my shins got all banged up. Everytime I picked my foot up, BANG, the tip of the shoe hit my shin. It was a long day. Check out their web site gvsnowshoes.com and look at the snow trail model. Looks like they've changed their colors/graphics to attract the sport crowd, but they're still the same shape and bindings.

I've also got a pair smaller set from LLBean. They're probably 8"x28" or so and more for recreational use. The bindings are tough to adjust with gloves on too.

Lastly are my retro-modern ones. Wood frame with woven neoprene deck. Hate em! They go where ever they want. Lousy bindings (can't really call them bindings - they just keep my feet in close proximity to the snowshoe). Nuff said.

Rhino
12-25-2010, 07:35 AM
We have 3 sets of military snowshoes, can't wreak them if you tried. They are magnesium with aircraft cable webbing. Light and strong and cheap, sometimes you can get them for $40.00. If you really want good bindings, Bob Maki bindings are top notch but kind of pricey.

maple flats
12-25-2010, 08:18 AM
One of my pair is the military magnesium ones too, I bought them from Sportsman's Guide for $39 a several years ago. I think I saw them at a similar price recently. They are real tough and will last forever, but are harder to maneuver in tight turns or backing up.

sugarmountain
12-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I have used the tubbs llbean shoes for a while and i abuse the hell out of them. Had great luck so far and the price was very competitive. I allways liked the novelty of the rawhid and ash but my knees and legs prefer the tubbs aluminum!

Heart Stone Farm
12-25-2010, 07:53 PM
I have several pairs of Tubbs (made in VT) and Atlas snowshoes. I was formerly an outdoor guide so I know all of the differences. The binding is the most important, so make sure you can adjust them with gloves. These companies make outdoor snowshoes that are intended for heavy use, so they should last (they are also expensive). OK, the difference. I love the Tubbs because of the pivoting bindings. I find them the easiest to walk forward in. The Atlas have a band as the pivot on the binding. If you are trying to go backwards (like after moving from a tree), they are easier to manuever. The idea earlier of one size smaller than recommended is a great idea. That is how I go as well since the larger the snowshoe, the harder it is to manuever. In New England, the snow tends to be wetter and pack better, not needing the "higher float" capability of more area. Both of the snowshoe brands have aggressive teeth patterns.

There are certainly other great brands out there. Good luck and feel free to message me with any questions.

tessiersfarm
12-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I have looked at the sportsman guide mag snowshoes and I like the durability, however I am a little skeptical of the bindings, which I can replace, and I think they will not be real manuverable in some of the areas I work. I may order a pair just to try them out, they look indestructible, may be nice to have a couple pairs around the sugar shack as loaners for visitors.

I am most intrigued by the MSR snowshoes I have seen because they offer add on tails for improved flotation while breaking trails or carrying heavy loads, which remove when my trails are well packed or I am just out having fun. I really like that option. I couldn't find anyone else offering that option. Anyone have or use that feature?

Thanks Again

maple flats
12-25-2010, 08:30 PM
A few years ago, I had an offer for some free help, but did not have extra snowshoes. That year I was tapping with 3'+ of settled but not packed snow on the ground. I couldn't use the help, and the next week I bought another pair just in case. It has helped me a couple of times so it was worth it.

i am not familiar with the MSR's you mention. I wonder if the balance and weight would be do-able with an attachment method to add a tail. Sounds like it might be worth checking into.
I find that most years I don't need snowshoes, but when needed it really slows you and wears you out without them. In my woods rightnow it is marginal and if it got much more snow I'd start wearing them, but not yet here. But My guess is that just 25 miles west or south and I would need them.

Homestead Maple
12-25-2010, 08:54 PM
I have used the MSR for 6 years now and being plastic bodied they have surprised me as to how well they have stood up to some of the abuse I have given them. It is kind of rocky in some places in the bush. I have the add on tails which are necessary when the snow is quite deep and easily removed when the extra support is not needed. I have some fairly steep terrain in some places and the ice caulks help a lot when the conditions are icy or crusty. I think they are a great all round snow shoe.