PDA

View Full Version : sipple candy machine question

OneLegJohn
12-22-2010, 08:08 PM
So I'm putting this Leader machine together to make some candy. The trough and motor butt together with some sort of "U" joint. Looks like the same thing that turned the magneto on old gravely walk behinds. Is there supposed to be a piece inbetween the metal? Like a rubber piece or wooden piece?

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
12-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Mine has a rubber cross piece that couples the motor and auger. It can easily fall out when moving the parts or cleaning them.

Bucket Head
12-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Oneleg,

Go to your local industrial supply, farm store, hydrualic hose/pump supply or Grainger distributor and pick up another one. That type coupler is found on many hydraulic and water pumps. Most wood splitters have one of those mating the engine and pump. I know them as a Lovejoy (maybe Love-Joy?) coupler. Their very common.

Steve

802maple
12-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Onelegjohn, are the 2 pieces flat and about 2 inches in diameter with 2 pins on one with opposing holes on the other. If so they are met to just be shoved together with light tension on the auger. Make sure the little allen set screws are tight and you will be all set to go.

OneLegJohn
12-23-2010, 06:45 AM
So, metal on metal? I think there is another piece for inbetween. That is what I need

Daryl
12-23-2010, 06:55 AM
A bearing store would have that part.
I know that Erie Bearings in Meadville would have it. Phone 814-724-7717. I just got one for the pump on the RO that i'm building.

Daryl

So, metal on metal? I think there is another piece for inbetween. That is what I need

batsofbedlam
12-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Tractor Supply Co., has a variety of Lovejoy connector parts.

802maple
12-23-2010, 09:02 AM
If it is a Love joy fitting then yes you will need the rubber, But if it is what usually comes on their machine, it is met to be metal on metal. There are 2 like I said flat surfaces, that are in the area of 2 inches in diameter on their usual setup. If on one of the flat surfaces there are 2 quarter inch in diameter steel pegs and on the other half there are 2 holes that are also quarter inch then they just slide together. Is this a new machine? If it is then maybe they are using lovejoy fittings, but just up to a couple years ago they were still using the system I explained.

NH Maplemaker
12-23-2010, 09:02 AM
OneLegJohn, my leader candy machine has a rubber piece that fits between the 2 metal pieces!! JimL.

802maple
12-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Must be they have made some changes in it then, sorry if I confused anyone as all I had ever seen was the setup like the 5 that I have used.

dnap63
12-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I have a leader candy machine that is about 2 years old and it does have a lovejoy coupling. As others have said Grainger or Tractor supply has them The rubber piece is only a buck or two.