PDA

View Full Version : electric releaser power

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
12-22-2010, 07:03 PM
I am setting up a vacuum pump on a woods that has 3200 taps. The vacuum pump is a LR with a small diesel engine since I don't have electric power there. I need to put an electric releaser due to little slope. The diesel engine has 12 volt dc electric start. Has anybody ever run an electric releaser pump of off an invertor that converts 12v dc to 110v ac? It looks like the releaser pump is 1700 watts. I found invertors that are 2000-3000 watt continous on the internet.

Haynes Forest Products
12-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Most small RV generators are a inverter type. They generate 12 volt and conver up to 110 Thats how they keep them so small.

Mark
12-23-2010, 06:10 AM
If the diesel engine has windings for charging the starting battery you won't have enough power to run the pump.

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
12-23-2010, 08:22 AM
How would I size an alternater to make sure it is large enough to run the invertor? I have a pulley off of the crankshaft that I could drive the alternater.

jasonl6
12-23-2010, 10:17 AM
If i were doing this i would use a GM alternator as they have a self contained regulator so the battery won't over charge. I think i would get a truck sized 120+amp and a deep cycle battery.

I have no personal experiance with this just what i've gleaned from other people.

jason

Haynes Forest Products
12-23-2010, 07:07 PM
I like the 1 wire alternators they are simple and have a built in regulator Ebay. I would also look into a battery in the system one that is independant of the starter batt. Having one in the inverter system will smooth it out.

Brian
12-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Could you use a manual releaser up the hill alittle,then put in a sap ladder for down below?

Mark
12-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Drive the pump with a belt and use a magnetic clutch like on a vehicle air conditioning. The clutch would run on 12 volts DC. Maple suppliers sell a similar unit.

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
12-24-2010, 08:09 AM
There just isn't enugh slope for a mechanical releaser without losing a bunch of taps. I thought about driving the pump with belts and a magnetic clutch. The only problem I can see with that is that if I ever get to the point to where I achieve high vacuum say 28" then I hear the pumps leak at the seals. Some people put the pumps inside the releasers to take care of this and with a drive shaft I wouldn't be able to. The invertor sounded easier, but I may just have to drive it with belts and a clutch and go from there.