PDA

View Full Version : 2 handed tool

lafite
12-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Looks like santa will be giving me a gift certificate for xmas. Does anyone have any experience with the 2 handed assembly tool from leader? It is listed at $134.

Less than 2 months and I'm already driving my family crazy!!

collinsmapleman2012
12-22-2010, 08:16 AM
they are really handy especially when cutting in drops and connectors

peckfarm
12-22-2010, 08:29 AM
I take the cutting blade out of the tool, always catching my knuckles on it.(blood and sap should not mix) Also if you spread the tool all the way and clamp on the tubing then use the wifes trimmer to take out 2-3 inches of tubing, the lines will get nice and tight when you cinch down on the fitting.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
I prefer the 2 handed tool that has the jaws on the end, not back toward the center. You want the jaws to be able to work near trees etc. Otherwise, a 2 handed tool is the go to for about anything..
My opinion.

Randy Brutkoski
12-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Thats what i did too Peckfarm. The cutter that they built into the tool is just about worthless.

ennismaple
12-22-2010, 11:55 AM
I got a new tool from my dealer that you'd have to try hard to cut yourself with. Instead of having the unprotected blade on top where your hands are working all the time the blade comes up from below and when not in use and is shielded by a small metal plate. It's the model where the clamps are self adjusting. I'd recommend it over the older styles but both beat the heck out of forcing tees in by hand!

lafite
12-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I am looking forward to my new toy. Last year was difficult in the cold with the thermos tip.

Merry Christmas

talahi maple products
12-22-2010, 01:54 PM
I borrowed one to copy design from , Then I bought the material to make it from local tractor supply, about $30.00, works real slick. Did'nt put cutter on it, it just gets in the way, those blade cut tools from sears work great.

talahi maple products
12-22-2010, 02:00 PM
I borrowed one to copy design from , Then I bought the material to make it from local tractor supply, about $30.00, Works real slick. Did'nt put cutter on it, it just gets in the way, those blade cut tools from sears work great.

markct
12-22-2010, 03:31 PM
i copied a tool i had borrowed and left the blade part out also, i like a pair of battery cable cutting pliers for cutting the tubing, they are more compact to put in your pocket than garden snips and make a nice clean cut

boondocker
12-25-2010, 09:13 PM
i just got what they call a one handed tool. last year i put a complete pipe line with out any tools other than cutters. not a good idea. so the other day i decided to break down and pay $98.00 for a pair of vise grips and two peices of flat stock. i have to say they are the slickest thing i have got in a while. im a back woods redneck and there isnt two many things i cant fix or build, if i knew of someone who had a pair i could have copied i would have. but i couldent bring myself to go to my sugar supplier and ask to borrow a pair to copy:lol: in the end...... best hundred bucks i have spent.

maple flats
12-26-2010, 06:28 AM
I use the original Leader tool and have never cut myself. It is real handy and lots faster in any temperature. You will also get a better seal than using the vacuum and hot water.

Father & Son
12-26-2010, 08:07 AM
For Christmas last year my wife bought me the older style two handed tool. It worked great for me. The only difference I see between the old style and the newer style is the positioning of your drop. With the older style tool it is easiest to place it on one side or the other of the tree because the tubing clamps are not at the end of the tool like the newer design. Make your drops 30" and they will reach around the tree fine. Again, it's all in how much you want to spend.

Jim

nas
12-26-2010, 10:03 AM
but i couldent bring myself to go to my sugar supplier and ask to borrow a pair to copy:lol:

One of my local suppliers rents them out. I might have to rent them for a day;)

Nick

boondocker
12-30-2010, 08:15 AM
One of my local suppliers rents them out. I might have to rent them for a day;)

Nick

geez i never thought to ask if the rented them.:confused:

lafite
12-30-2010, 06:56 PM
well..Santa was kind and I purchased the 2 handed tool from the Bascom website. I received it today and promptly assembled 100 drop lines in no time. I can see where this will be handy cutting into my lateral lines in no time. This is going to save me 2 days of work in just a matter of a couple of hours.:)

Today I saw a couple of trees "bleeding" from the blizzard we had a couple of days ago. I put my finger on the sap in it tasted like pure sugar water!! I hope the sugar content this spring is even close to what I tried today.

Happy New Year!

maple flats
12-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Sugar should be higher in the spring than you tasted today. The sugar rises everytime the sap rises and falls in the trunk.

collinsmapleman2012
12-30-2010, 10:49 PM
well..Santa was kind and I purchased the 2 handed tool from the Bascom website. I received it today and promptly assembled 100 drop lines in no time. I can see where this will be handy cutting into my lateral lines in no time. This is going to save me 2 days of work in just a matter of a couple of hours.:)
i found when making drops clamp the tool in a vise and it makes life easier too =]