PDA

View Full Version : Great Find!!!

collinsmapleman2012
12-20-2010, 08:05 PM
wow you never know where you find the neatest things, and i found a pretty cool one. As we were cleaning out a boy scout cabinet tonight at our weekly meeting, i found a leader evaporator catalog im guessing from about 1975. it has advertisements for king and vermont special evaporators, as well as tubing and sap bags. then theres pumps, power tappers and the normal things and a company history. then in the back theres things like how to make syrup, tapping trees, bottling and equipment care. even more is theres recipes for maple pickles, gingerbread, breakfast rolls and caramels. i just thought it was pretty cool comparing then and now and figured all the traders out there would too :)

Flat47
12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Agreed - old maple stuff is cool. I've got an old Leader booklet similar to what you described, except it wasn't a catalog as there aren't any prices in it. It's got a white cover with a picture of the old factory in St. Albans.

I while back I found a thermometer kind of like the old Grimm and Leader adjustable scale thermometers, but it's not adjustable and the mercury tube is wired to a piece of hardwood (probably maple) with copper wire. I'll have to dig it out to get the name and location off of it. I do remember it was made in Vermont...gotta love sugar house decor.

Congrats and good find!

collinsmapleman2012
12-20-2010, 08:45 PM
i think you have the same book i do. it has the same color and picture, and when i started looking at it i realized it was a catalog, just without prices.

Bucket Head
12-20-2010, 10:06 PM
This past summer at an an antique engine show/swap meet I found some old maple literature also. There were two D&G products poster-like advertisements(old but unsure of year), several Lamb tubing brochures and instalation manuals-one with a date of 1972, a Maple Syrup Journal from Dec. 1982, and a Maple Sirup (not syrup) Producers Manual from the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, issued in Jan. of 1958.

All of the old literature that we discover is neat. That manual was very interesting. It really showed how far this industry has come. A lot has changed since '58- both in equipment and practices.

Steve

Haynes Forest Products
12-21-2010, 01:11 AM
When I bought my first 2x6 evaporator it also came with a building, buckets, tanks, arch, skimmers, hydrometer with cup, desk and chair and in the desk was a Maple sirup producers manual from 1958 with everything you ever wanted to know about about making syrup and everything maple even how to construct a sugar house its all based on 1958 equipment. Alot of photos in black and white.

Flat47
12-21-2010, 06:01 PM
a Maple Sirup (not syrup) Producers Manual from the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, issued in Jan. of 1958.
Steve

I've got that one, too. I'd never seen it spelled that way until seeing that manual. Haven't seen it spelled that way since.

Flat47
12-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Agreed - old maple stuff is cool. I've got an old Leader booklet similar to what you described, except it wasn't a catalog as there aren't any prices in it. It's got a white cover with a picture of the old factory in St. Albans.

I while back I found a thermometer kind of like the old Grimm and Leader adjustable scale thermometers, but it's not adjustable and the mercury tube is wired to a piece of hardwood (probably maple) with copper wire. I'll have to dig it out to get the name and location off of it. I do remember it was made in Vermont...gotta love sugar house decor.

Congrats and good find!

WRONG! I dug out that old thermometer. Made by A.J. Dodge in Peterborogh, NH (spelled "Peterboro").