PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt blowers

peacemaker
12-20-2010, 06:46 PM
well here goes i am losing the use of my present sugarhouse .... and will need to build a new one at this point the location will have no electric ... so heres the problem i have the forced draft fans to deal with anyone running a 12 volt system

Bucket Head
12-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I don't know of anyone doing it, but it can be done. Are you talking about using batteries? I ask because I've seen guy's take small engines (3.5 or 5hp) and hook them up to car alternators and produce remote 12v power that way. Or do what I did- get a small engine driven leaf blower and duct that to the arch. Way more air than what was needed- had to make a makeshift diverter, but went forever at idle speed on a tank of gas. Just some ideas. Good luck.

Steve

peacemaker
12-20-2010, 07:06 PM
i was thinking solar panel charging batterys ...and heater fan from a car

Haynes Forest Products
12-21-2010, 01:25 AM
I would think that charging batteries during the day from the house with a charger or setting up a system to swap out batteries from the car or truck would be the best bet. I dont think solar will keep up with the demand.

steve J
12-21-2010, 07:26 AM
I think I would just buy a small portable generator you are going to be spending way to much time messing with batteries.

jasonl6
12-21-2010, 08:18 AM
I think I would just buy a small portable generator you are going to be spending way to much time messing with batteries.

I would go the genny route too. You should beable to pick one up pretty cheap. I resently bought a 2000watt at a auction for $60. Itn started up but would stall out. The oil sensor was shutting it off. Took it to small engine repaid shop and $50 later i have a great machine. It is 110/220 :-)

jason

Brokermike
12-21-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't have power at the sugarhouse, and last year used a 12v blower from a dodge dakota and a diesel truck battery. It was moderately successful, but I bought a small generator in Bennington (at Aldi's) for $99 brand new. It is 2,000 watt and works well. It powers my 3/4 hp blower and all of my lights without much trouble. I'd skip over the 12v idea, the batteries drain quickly in the cold weather and a solar charger will definately not keep up unless you buy a really large panel.

log cabin luke
12-21-2010, 06:13 PM
last season I used a 102 watt panel hooked up to 2 trojan t105 batteries. It works but does not power my small blower more than 3 hours, I ended up using my generator the rest of the time