PDA

View Full Version : Pan question-advice needed

eschoon
12-17-2010, 03:22 PM
The kids & I made some syrup last spring on 4 steam table pans and a block arch setup. We made 7.5 gallons & are looking forward to doing it again in 2011. I need some help in deciding on a pan configuration for the evaporator I am building. I am taking the advice of several people on the forum to others and skipping some of the “small steps” in evaporator sizing. I am building a 2x8 arch. I have an old, heavy wood stove that will be the firebox and enough other steel around the farm to frame and sheet the flue area. I am planning on a 10” stack and have that already as well.

My dilemma is what to use for a pan configuration. I was thinking of putting steam table pans on at first and setting them into a plate on the top as I have seen several pictures of here and maybe putting “drop tubes” in 2-3 of them as I have also seen here. I started pricing out the material to do this and think I would not be too far away from some divided flat pans in price. I think I would like to set up a “cross flow” type system for the syrup pans. I was thinking a 2’x6’ rear pan with 3 channels and (2) 1’x2’ syrup pans on the front. Otherwise (2) 2’x3’ rear pans with 3 channels each and the (2) 1’x2’ syrup pans on the front. I would plumb all of it together with the appropriate couplers, etc.

I cannot afford to set up with a new raised/drop flue pan. I have not yet found any used ones on the dealer websites that would work. I am 5 hour drive from the nearest equipment dealer that I know of (Andersons, Cumberland, WI). I may try to find a local shop to weld up what I need. I have the possibility to max out at around 500 taps in a couple of years. (we are on the very western edge of the natural range for sugar/black/red maple).

All opinions, humble or otherwise, considered. Sorry for the long post.

Thank you all for your time and the GREAT web forum!

sugarmountain
12-17-2010, 05:41 PM
What is your budjet? you can buy an old 2x6 cross flow from bascoms with a partition in it for like 300 bucks and they will ship it to you? look on page 2 of the new posts a new guy is making some pretty affordable pan set ups also.

cpmaple
12-20-2010, 05:58 AM
I just purchased some pans over the summer from stainless steel creation out of wisconsin which were 2x4 flat rear pan and 2x2 divided front pan with 3/4 inch fittings on them to hook them together and i live in crown point ny and had them made and ship for $500.00 to my door than they look great. He has what you order laser cut then tig weld out of 304 stainless you could look at his site hope it helps.cpmaple

eschoon
12-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Thank you for the replys so far.

SugarMountain- Budget is not enough for a new flue pan which is what I would really like. I took another look a the used pans on Bascom's site and I am not sure if they would work. It looks like the draw-off boxes are on the end of the pan (which would be correct for a 2x6 crossflow) and that would not sit on a 2 foot wide arch properly. (could probably make them fit with the Acet. torch!). I have seen the posts about the new pan maker and may contact him.

cpmaple-I have been looking at Stainless Steel Creations website and will probably be running my idea past them for a price estimate. I have also been looking at Wegners website.

Other thoughts I had over the weekend- (2) 2x3 pans would be much easier to handle for cleaning, but would be 2x the welding to have them made as well as 2x the plumbing to hook everything up

I might give Bascom's a call and see if they have any that are not on the website.

Thanks for your input. Anyone have anything else I should consider??

mike z
12-21-2010, 12:55 PM
I was in the same boat last year at this time, having been evaporating off a multi - steam table pan set up. I had the fellow in Merril make my pans. Was reaonally priced and went off a drawing I made for him. Got it done fairly quickly too. Don't know how it performs yet, will use it for the first time this year. I also can't afford "real pans" but I am saving for them. If you wait a year I'll tell you how they do.:lol: I'll try and attach the dwg for you to see. The arch, we made ourselves after looking at others. Good Luck.