PDA

View Full Version : getting started

TylerMcT
12-17-2010, 02:32 PM
im am on all buckets at the moment but am looking at installing tubing in the future but i am overwhelmed and have no idea how to start.

jasonl6
12-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Good starting point

1. gravity?
2. vacuum?

Pick one we will go from there

Jason

ennismaple
12-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Tyler - Where are you located? Our farm is north of Perth (Eastern Ontario) and I'd be happy to show you the ropes. If you're not close I'm sure there's lots of producers near you who would be glad to show you around.

TylerMcT
12-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Im from west of london you might know The palmers from port stanley ? I am about 10 mins away from them.

TylerMcT
12-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Jason-my bush consists of many slops and gullys so i dont now what would work best

jasonl6
12-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Jason-my bush consists of many slops and gullys so i dont now what would work best

It's honestly up to you. You can certianly do gravity but if you have a little extra money you can go vac. Vac will get you more sap per tap than gravity. I have an area that is super steap on vac using wet/dry and another thats almost flat that i have a ladder in so i can maintain my grade w/o tapping off a ladder. Tell us how many taps your looking at and how your budget it.

jason

TylerMcT
12-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Ok Well within the next few years i am hoping to be around 2000 on sap lines. Exactly what equipment do i need if say it was on vacuum what would it cost approximately for the basic necessitys

farmall h
12-17-2010, 06:13 PM
The best thing to do would be to visit a local sugar bush that is on vacuum with the same amount of taps your shooting for. Then start pricing used equipment and new tubing etc. It is in my opinion to go all "new" the first time around but it is your choice afterall. Good luck.:)

Sugarmaker
12-17-2010, 06:48 PM
TylerMcT,
couple things come to mind for you.
1. Your on buckets now. how many? How much syrup did you make last year?

I will stick my neck way out and say that putting up a vacuum system from scratch will cost you between $6 and $10 per tap. That's my guess just based on putting up 500 taps on gravity which I think was $5 to $8 per tap. I know you will get better numbers from folks that do tubing systems for a living. My point is there is a estimated expense per tap that you can use. The Leader catalog has a good guide on tubing and vacuum costs and the amount of sap your going to get.
I would expect on a good 2000 tap vacuum system that you should be able to make 900 to 1100 gallons of syrup per year.
Call some dealers they should be able to guide you!
Good luck sounds like a nice operation when you get set up.
Regards,
Chris