PDA

View Full Version : ? about grading sets

Dan W
12-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I was wondering, how much does the color change on the temporary grading sets over time? I understand they are good for no more than 2 years. I will be getting a new one this year and look forward to comparing it to the on I have from 2009. At the end of the past 2 seasons I have kept it in a box in the basement where it stayed cool and in the dark.

Bucket Head
12-16-2010, 09:44 PM
I've never done a comparison between the two I have. One is real old but I don't use that to grade, and my newest one is two or three years old. Probably should get a new one. Keeping them cool and covered is the correct way to store them. I was told they get darker as they age.

Steve

Flat47
12-19-2010, 08:27 AM
I thought they got lighter with age. But...I've never compared to actually tell.

DrTimPerkins
12-19-2010, 09:12 AM
I thought they got lighter with age. But...I've never compared to actually tell.

That is correct. "Temporary" grading kids tend to get lighter with age, however the rate depends upon exposure (temperature and light) conditions. So if you have a really old kit, you're probably grading too harshly and could be losing $ because of it.

red maples
12-19-2010, 10:35 AM
how long can they last and still be accurate? I got 1 for the 2010 season. I ordered a 2011 one from bascoms because they said they usually get them in in nov/dec. so when I open the package it was a 2010:mad:so now I have to send it back!!!:mad: I don't see the purpose of a permanent 1 they are very expensive and the temp ones are $16.50 and the permenant 1's are $185 so thats 11 year return on that!!! doesn't seem worth it especially with the grades changing in a few years.

BryanEx
12-19-2010, 10:54 AM
doesn't seem worth it especially with the grades changing in a few years.
Exactly what I've been waiting for myself. I'd like to have a permanent set but not until any grading changes take place and are well underway within the industry.

DrTimPerkins
12-19-2010, 11:14 AM
how long can they last and still be accurate?

Depends upon the storage conditions. Keeping them in a cool dry and dark place will promote their longevity.

Amber Gold
12-19-2010, 04:43 PM
If you use the USDA Permanent grade set though, you are using what the state uses and there's no issue with using a bad temp. set...I look at it as a cost of business.

I'm hoping that eithe the colors for the grades stay the same, or USDA will offer new sleeves so you don't need to by the entire set...we'll see.

twofer
12-19-2010, 08:33 PM
how long can they last and still be accurate? I got 1 for the 2010 season. I ordered a 2011 one from bascoms because they said they usually get them in in nov/dec. so when I open the package it was a 2010:mad:so now I have to send it back!!!:mad: I don't see the purpose of a permanent 1 they are very expensive and the temp ones are $16.50 and the permenant 1's are $185 so thats 11 year return on that!!! doesn't seem worth it especially with the grades changing in a few years.

It is only 7.87 years ROI ($130) if you order them directly from the USDA. I recently ordered mine and it was a breeze.

If you want I can send you the information as it was a pain trying to get to the right person. For the first time in my young life I had to call up Washington, DC to get to the right gov't person. :)