PDA

View Full Version : Grates

maple island farms
12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I am looking for ideas about making forced air grates. I have been thinking heavy angle. Any thoughts ?

darkmachine
12-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I've been told that nothing will hold up to the fire like cast Iron. I know from experience that we have melted steel and even melted our lite, inch thick cast grates. Not sure if the forced draft will prevent the melting or make it worse?

Rhino
12-16-2010, 09:23 PM
I went to the iron and steel bone yard this past fall and picked up thrown out cast iron sewer drain grates. They are 2' wide by 3' long. The weight on one alone was 210 pounds. Had all i could do to lift them on my truck, good thing i didn't blow anything out. (meaning me, not my truck). Got enough to grate our 5' x 18' evap. They should last a long time but my question is, why would a town/city throw these out? They don't go bad, more gov. waste. Paid $65 bucks for them all. Nice find though.

whalems
12-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I am planning on using angle iron to make grates. Several members here on the trader have said they use this type of home made grates with good results. They have suggested filling the "V" with sand and ash to help insulate them. One member here said after 2 seasons some of the paint was still on his home made grates. Hope this helps. Mike

Bucket Head
12-16-2010, 10:00 PM
The angle iron will work by itself with the ashes in them, and many have put fire bricks down on top to protect them further. The forced draft air is basically putting cooling air to your grates before it hits the fire so it does help out.

My arch has an old cast iron storm drain in it for a grate. The only problem with them is the holes/slots are kind of big and allow a lot of coals to fall down through before their burned up. I fixed that by welding up a makeshift "grate" that closes down those openings. There's a picture or two of it on my Photobucket. Like I said the draft air helps to cool things and my "grate" is in good shape even after several years use on it.

Steve

PeddlerLakeSapper
12-17-2010, 12:41 PM
I used a 1/4" wire mesh that goes on pallet racks, then put half fire brick on that with 3/4" holes drilled in them for draft. No problems after 2 years.

Sugarmaker
12-17-2010, 07:00 PM
maple island farms,
I built 5 mild steel grates using angle iron 3/8 thick with 1/2 inch holes punched in them. They were about 3-/1/2 inch leg on each side. The vee point was up. I had 550 cfm blower under the grates for forced draft. They began to sag after the first year. All of them continued to sag over the years and were getting so bad that finally one fell through the opening last spring. The heat in the firebox took its toll after 10 years. I put the cast King grates back in last year and they did just fine. So I am going to run those till they or I wont run any more.
Would I make another set. Yea probably. They were relatively easy to make and if you have a supply of cheap steel they will hold a fire.
I have seen some very warped cast grates also over the years too.
Regards,
Chris

Dave Y
12-17-2010, 07:12 PM
The best forced air grate you can make is fire brick. Drill holes in them and blow your air though them. Build a support for under them and lay them in . they should last for ever. Get the paver size fire brick

Sugarmaker
12-17-2010, 07:36 PM
DaveY,
Hey that would work in my rig. Assuming the AOF will work. I just raised my pans 2 inches so I could put fire brick on top of the existing cast iron grates.
Question? Any easy way to drill the holes? how big of holes and how many per brick?
Chris

Dave Y
12-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Chris, Just use a masonry Bit .7/16 or 1/2in. They are not hard to drill. Put 6 or 8 holes in each one. To do it right brick the entire bottom of the arch.

maple island farms
12-18-2010, 08:22 PM
I did some scraping and got some 4 inch channel . I think it should make good grates.

RipTyd
12-18-2010, 08:27 PM
DaveY,
Hey that would work in my rig. Assuming the AOF will work. I just raised my pans 2 inches so I could put fire brick on top of the existing cast iron grates.
Question? Any easy way to drill the holes? how big of holes and how many per brick?
Chris

How did you raise your pans 2 inches , I wonder if i do that I can fit a larger fire in my arch?

jimsudz
12-18-2010, 09:09 PM
I took 5 in. diameter pipe with 1/2 in. wall thickness and split them in half with plasma cutter, then cut 3/4 in. holes every 3 in. on a zig zag patern.I only ran three times but see no warpping. Very happy with the performance.

Goggleeye
12-19-2010, 12:19 AM
I took heavy angle, placed it so the V is upside down, and then placed the broken cast grates from my Hardy outdoor furnace on top of them. Only through 1 season, but so far, so good.

Sugarmaker
12-19-2010, 04:03 PM
RT,
I added the AOF TRS to the old KING arch. You can view in the AOF thread. That raised the pans about 2 inches. I wouldn't run out and do that yet since its untested. Waiting for the research grant to come through.

How did you raise your pans 2 inches , I wonder if i do that I can fit a larger fire in my arch?

I think splits might work for a fire box grate floor and not be as thick? Would still need to put in holes and they might crack easier?

Chris