PDA

View Full Version : Vaccum and releaser

Thiems sugarshack
12-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Is there a pump and releaser setup for a small amount of taps say 50-150.If so what is the esimated cost of a new or used system.Also i have never seen a vaccum system and was wondering if you need a releaser.I believe I know the answer is yes the reason being is so you dont loose the vaccum in the line is this correct?
Thanks Jaret

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-16-2010, 05:11 PM
You will need either a releaser or a vacuum bulk tank. The bulk tank can be a less expensive alternative as it serves as both the storage tank and releaser. The vacuum is released from the tank when you pump it out.
Lapierre makes a "hobby releaser" designed for (I think) about 500 or less taps. Some of the guys on here have used an old milk releaser, often termed a "bender releaser". Do a search. There are some great pictures of how guys have modified them for sap. They should do a good job on less than 200 taps. I just happen to have a "Bender" that I might be convinced to sell;)

tapper
12-16-2010, 05:17 PM
You can also use a diaphragm pump no releaser needed.

jasonl6
12-16-2010, 06:01 PM
I have a little delaval 20 rotary vain pump i got out of an old barn. Also have one of the forementioned bender releasers. here is a video of it working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9u1jTJr2fU

Jason

Thiems sugarshack
12-16-2010, 06:26 PM
You can also use a diaphragm pump no releaser needed.
How does the diaphragm pump work does it dump the sap into a tank?Is this all you need or do you have to do major modifications to it?

DrTimPerkins
12-16-2010, 06:45 PM
How does the diaphragm pump work does it dump the sap into a tank?Is this all you need or do you have to do major modifications to it?

See thread located at: http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=9797&highlight=diaphragm

collinsmapleman2012
12-16-2010, 07:22 PM
we use a pump like this at school. i put in a bypass so as to not to let sap freeze in the pump, its a simple PVC system. heres a rough diagram of it