PDA

View Full Version : Question about finishing my syrup

adam1493
12-13-2010, 06:41 PM
I want to boil the sap down to just before the finishimg stage, then store it until I have time to finish it ( a couple days, maybe two weeks). Is this OK. Will I lose flavor or will it spoil?

New guy looking for help.

DrTimPerkins
12-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I want to boil the sap down to just before the finishimg stage, then store it until I have time to finish it ( a couple days, maybe two weeks). Is this OK. Will I lose flavor or will it spoil?

Store it in the fridge or freezer to prevent spoiling. Only effect is that you may end up with somewhat darker syrup.

Ausable
12-13-2010, 06:52 PM
If You make it on a small scale like I do and say have 2 or 3 gallons of maple syrup you don't have time to bottle or can in sealed jars ----- just refrigerate it till You have time to deal with it. Some backyarders store their syrup in the freezer till they are ready to use it and it keeps for a long time.

adam1493
12-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I am in the Glennie area too. Or at least my sugar bush is. I live in Grayling.
Is your place the farm on the east side of town?

Adam1493

Ausable
12-22-2010, 08:30 PM
I am in the Glennie area too. Or at least my sugar bush is. I live in Grayling.
Is your place the farm on the east side of town?

Adam1493

Hi Adam - I live about a mile East of town - but - not on a Farm. There are a couple of big producers in the area and several little guys like me. One of my sons live near Johannesburg - thats over Grayling way