PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Buckets

Father & Son
04-20-2005, 06:23 PM
What is the best way to repair the seams on galvanized buckets?

Thanks,
Chase (Son)

brookledge
04-20-2005, 09:58 PM
solder the seam with lead free solder. But it might be easier to throw them away and buy some used ones. Usually can find decent used buckets for $2.00 to 2.50 each. Keep looking on e-bay and the trader for used buckets. You will have to determine if its worth your time to repair the ones you have if you can get ones for 2 bucks.
Keith

nhmaple48
04-21-2005, 06:29 AM
Reynolds in Aniwa Wis. used to sell plastic bag liners for buckets. Just throw em away at the end of the season.

Dave Y
04-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Chase,
If you have buckets it is worth your time to repair them. I have repaired a number of them. The way I did it is as follows. First I pound the seam down And if it is too bad I will pop rivet it together with as many aluminum rivets as needed. The I take Stay -Brite liquid flux and apply it to the seam. Them I use silver bearing soder and lay it in with a small torch. I have sodered buckets the full lenght of the seam before. I also do that with pin holes. the trick is to get it clean and make sure your seam is close enough to build soder. If you cant get it done and would like some one to try for you I would be willing to do it for you. I also live In NW PA.
In Forest Co.

Father & Son
04-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all the input. We're going to try to solder them. We'll let you know how it turns out!