PDA

View Full Version : biggest maple you have come across..

allgreenmaple
12-13-2010, 04:44 AM
looking at a new sugarbush we are hoping to get a lease on, just looking at half of it, 3-4 thousand taps, the rest, another 3-4 thousand taps, really rediculously big. Anyway, up in the back corner, one of the biggest sugar maples I have ever seen, must be at least 61/2 feet at the bottom, & still healthy & growing, just massive. What's the biggest everyone here has run across?

PARKER MAPLE
12-13-2010, 05:30 AM
Last week I found myself walking into an old sugarlot, while tracking a few deer. When I looked up to find a tree of about the same size you are talking about. I looked around in the sugarlot for awile and at the bottom of the tree I counted 6 old buckets. Man i found alot of old sugaring equipment out there that day. 2 evaporators, tanks and to many buckets to count, just left there to rott. But what and awesome piece of woods. Oh yeah never caught up the those deer either, I guess they didnt slow down to look at the trees like i did. ha ha ha:lol:

maple rookie

peckfarm
12-13-2010, 05:54 AM
We have a maple in the yard that is about that big. I believe though it is one of those that has a compartmentalized trunk...the term for which is escaping me.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-13-2010, 06:06 AM
MapleRookie,
Those deer knew you were a sugarmaker. That is why they led you through those woods. Sure way to get away:lol:

Fred Henderson
12-13-2010, 02:35 PM
looking at a new sugarbush we are hoping to get a lease on, just looking at half of it, 3-4 thousand taps, the rest, another 3-4 thousand taps, really rediculously big. Anyway, up in the back corner, one of the biggest sugar maples I have ever seen, must be at least 61/2 feet at the bottom, & still healthy & growing, just massive. What's the biggest everyone here has run across?

Was that measurement around or across. If it was across it is probably the baby of some of these that I have around here. Not many mind you be just 2 or 3. Way to big for me to cut.I will probably have someone come and cut them like I did some big pine last year.

DrTimPerkins
12-13-2010, 02:43 PM
...Anyway, up in the back corner, one of the biggest sugar maples I have ever seen, must be at least 61/2 feet at the bottom, & still healthy & growing, just massive. What's the biggest everyone here has run across?

Many states have a "Big Tree List" or registry. Biggest sugar maple in NY is 230 inches circumference (at 4.5 ft above the ground), 95 ft tall (source http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/5248.html ) There is also a national big tree registry. Try a Google search and have fun.

allgreenmaple
12-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Many states have a "Big Tree List" or registry. Biggest sugar maple in NY is 230 inches circumference (at 4.5 ft above the ground), 95 ft tall (source http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/5248.html ) There is also a national big tree registry. Try a Google search and have fun. Cool registry. Thanks for the link, did not know DEC did this.....

PARKER MAPLE
12-13-2010, 03:37 PM
MapleRookie,
Those deer knew you were a sugarmaker. That is why they led you through those woods. Sure way to get away:lol:

I new that those deer wernt playing fair.:mrgreen:

I found out today at local coffe shop that nobody has tapped this piece of woods in like 30-40 years. man my wheels are turning now. it has changed owner ship a few times over the years and I might just ask if they would let me tap a few of these mature maples.

foursapssyrup
12-13-2010, 04:09 PM
my neighbor has 3 big maples in their front yard. 2 directly in front of the house and one by the street about 4' across. probably the parents of our sugar lot! we have one on the lot about 2.5-3' across.

red maples
12-13-2010, 07:17 PM
we have a few monsters around here. The biggest one in diameter (from the road viewing anyway) had to be 4 ft diameter...easy split apart during the ice storm a few years ago. there are more around but never actually measured them I will someday!!

collinsmapleman2012
12-13-2010, 08:16 PM
we have a few trees 3-4 feet across but nothing that big... they sure are beautiful though

TapME
12-13-2010, 08:34 PM
have one here where 3 of us holding hands will get around the trunk. It taps nicely at 3 but it's all of the babies 24'' in dia. that I like to tap, and there are 10 of those all within 50 feet.

cvmaple
01-07-2011, 03:30 PM
I measured a maple at a local provincial park the other day and it was 120 inches or ten feet around.It isn't in the best shape anymore but it did have a wooden spile that wasn't removed from years ago!! I sure would like to see some of those big monsters from the big tree registry.Maybe somebody has pictures they can post?

Acer
01-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't have many, but do have one 186" dbh. Lost the top out of it during the last ice storm.

DrTimPerkins
01-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't have many, but do have one 186" dbh. Lost the top out of it during the last ice storm.

You probably mean 186" circumference (length around the outside), which would be 59.2" diameter (4.9 ft diameter). If not....I'd like to see that tree.:)

dbh = diameter at breast height (4.5 ft).

maple flats
01-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I measured one a few years ago on some property I had permission to hunt that was still quite healthy. at 4.5' on the uphill side the circumferance was 221" (back in either 2006 or 07). When I first looked at It I would have sworn it was 8' in diameter but the tape brought it back to reality. I guess the owner tried to get it documented as the biggest years ago, but was told of a larger one. The one I measured was in Erieville, NY. It had been tapped for years back in the 40-50's but then they stopped making syrup. I was told they used to put 8 buckets on it. There goes the 2 tap max on trees. This was a very unique tree, the trunk when up about 10' and then all the branches came off from there. They used to stand deer watch up in that big area I was told.

farmall h
01-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Dr. Tim, how does one calculate breast height? Age + gravity = dbh :rolleyes:

wally
01-09-2011, 07:08 PM

:lol:

diameter 4.5 feet above ground ;)

jrthe3
01-09-2011, 07:11 PM
i found a stump down by dave y place it was about 3 feet across and over 6 feet the other way

DrTimPerkins
01-09-2011, 07:29 PM

:D Nice. Will have to tell that one at work tomorrow.

Acer
01-09-2011, 11:53 PM
You probably mean 186" circumference (length around the outside), which would be 59.2" diameter (4.9 ft diameter). If not....I'd like to see that tree.:)

yes circumference.

Michael Greer
04-23-2011, 07:38 PM
We found a yellow birch a few years ago that was probably 3-1/2 feet thick. More amazing though was the width of the crown...we paced it off at eighty feet. The horizontal branches were as big as trees.

BobU
04-24-2011, 10:39 AM
I think the biggest maple I've ever seen was on Oak Island in the Apostles Islands. Didn't have a measure tape with me (was out hiking, while on a kayak outing), just hugged it and could only reach about 1/2 way around.
Was told later that there were "Sugaring" operations on the Islands many years ago.

John c
04-24-2011, 11:02 AM
After reading this post I thought of a maple in my local cemetery, so I went to have a look and this maple is almost 3 1/2 feet in diameter! It got me wondering if a person could tap the enormous branches that are about 12 feet high? It seems like a tree like this could handle around 10 taps up in the branches and 3 maybe 4 down at the trunk, all fed into one 55 gallon barrel!
Is this possible?

mapleack
05-06-2011, 01:34 PM
After reading this post I thought of a maple in my local cemetery, so I went to have a look and this maple is almost 3 1/2 feet in diameter! It got me wondering if a person could tap the enormous branches that are about 12 feet high? It seems like a tree like this could handle around 10 taps up in the branches and 3 maybe 4 down at the trunk, all fed into one 55 gallon barrel!
Is this possible?

John, you wouldn't accomplish anything extra that way. Maples run sap because of internal tree pressure. The more holes you drill the less you get per hole because the pressure is relieved. You're better off with two or three taps on a tree like that than a dozen.

adk1
05-06-2011, 01:57 PM
I hate seeing a big old monarch with 4 or 5 buckets hanging from it.

Minnesota Acer
05-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm sure I've seen bigger, but my aunt and uncle have a silver maple I tapped this year that I measured at 118 in. circumference, which I calculate to be a diameter of just over 3 ft.

KenWP
05-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Had a girl freind named Maple once you had to hug and chalk her. I have 6 of those big silver maples in the yard and a huge box elder also. they are a good 3 feet thick or more.

KenWP
05-06-2011, 09:14 PM

So Dolly Parton has something to do with maple trees go figure.

Revi
05-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I was just looking at two massive maples that were over 40 inch diameter. They must be over a hundred years old. They are losing branches, but they are still amazing trees. We planted a line of maples as their replacements. It's neat to think that in another hundred years those little saplings may be as big as those giants.

CBOYER
05-08-2011, 08:42 PM
i never came across but i found that in Pelham, ont. in Niagara area they have the "Comfort Maple" wich is know the biggest sugar maple in Canada, estimated age of 500 years, and cicumference of 20 ft.

twitch
05-08-2011, 08:45 PM
i wonder if they would let me tap it lol

CBOYER
05-08-2011, 08:50 PM
dont tap it whit your best tapping bit, it has been repaired whit brick and cement in some place:lol: