PDA

View Full Version : Height of Steam Stack

Amber Gold
12-12-2010, 02:37 PM
The past two seasons I've had problems with steam settling in the SH, so this year I'm getting hoods built for my pans...probably a preheater too. The evap. is off-center from the cupola so I can't send steam stack straight into it. If I put a 4' section of steam stack to get the steam above the collar ties will the steam continue on out of the cupola? Or, do I need to put a 45 elbow and another section of stack to get it into the cupola for it to work properly?

Thanks

Sugarmaker
12-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Both may work I would vote for getting the 45 in place and having the steam stack end in the cupola.
Regards,
Chris

tapper
12-12-2010, 05:58 PM
The further into the cupola you end the stack the better or better yet install roof jacks go straight out and forget the cupola all together. I have a preheater for sale if you are interested.

Haynes Forest Products
12-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Amber Gold Right up my alley I went from a 2x8 without a hood offset Coupla to a 3x10 really offset with a hood. I framed in the floor up in the coupla FLAT didnt peak it. I ran the steam hood up and it works great. I didnt use a 45 in the stack. Its nice because wind and back drafts dont swirl the steam around. Keep it simple with a hood your pushing the steam out the stack with some draft if the hood is open over the finish pan.