PDA

View Full Version : chickens

red maples
12-12-2010, 04:53 AM
OK sorry for the non maple but this is place for it. I looked around the internet but couldn't find my answer. I am new to keeping chickens had some as a kid but don't remember what we did in the winter.

For the winter months how do you care for your chickens. I know alot of you guys are farmers or at least have chickens and have harsher winters weather than me. I have mostly NH reds, a few mixed breeds that I don't know, a blue laced red wyandotte rooster. most of them are hearty ones for bad climates.

So they say keep the coop ventilated to release humidity but not drafty? Insulated or no? heat lamp or no? Feed? they recommend higher amounts of corn and winter bird seed sunflower seeds? what is the lowest temps a chicken can go outside? and slightly warm un frozen water. thanks for your help.

lew
12-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Brad,

We used to keep laying hens through the winter and never ahd a problem, with the birds that is, quit doing it because of the frozen eggs. The first thing to worry about is air quality, then water, then feed. If you think about it as how long can you live without each of these, it makes perfect sense. They need plenty of fresh air. If you ever smell an ammonia smell, you're asking for problems. Our coup is 14x14 with3 windows for cross ventillation in the summer. For the winter months, I would close 2 all the way and adjust the last one so there was no draft. During the winter I would only have a couple dozen birds in there so not much make up air was required. During the summer I raise 100 meat birds at a time in the coup but all three windows are open. Water is the next thing, that's easy. There is a water heater on the market thatfits right underneath a standard chicken waterer. No frozen water. I am a firm believer that all animals need access to fresh water at all times, exceprt maybe camels. If you don't have electric available at the coup, you're going to have to be more resourceful, maybe insulating a water dish and filling with warm water a couple of times a day during the really cold spells. As far as feed goes, I never change my rations from summer to winter, although I do recall hearing something about having a ration with more fat in it for the cold months. As far as temperatures go, I don't think it can get to cold. I remember one year having some combs frostbitten. That was a year when it went to a high of maybe 10 during the day and a low of -20 or so a several days in a row. Never used any heat or lamps. They are pretty tough animals. Hope this gives you some insight.

BryanEx
12-12-2010, 06:39 AM
We have 15 birds, all heritage breed laying hens except for one rooster, in an 8 x 10 coop. The walls were insulated when we built it but that was my wife's doing. Most local farmers think we're crazy city-folk for insulating a chicken coop. :rolleyes: Local temperatures can hit -30 or more (-20 in US terms) and so far we haven't had a problem. We don't use a heat lamp unless temps start to approach -35 or we have younger birds in the flock. Because they are laying hens we do run a 40 watt bulb on an 8 hour timer so egg production doesn't drop too much in the short daylight. Ventilation is only the roof ridge vent and we open the "chicken door" during the daytime only. The birds tend to create their own heat in the coop and roost together for warmth. We do not change their feed at all and just keep them on lay ration pellets year-round and the waterer sits on a thermostatically controlled heated base. It does not warm the water but keeps it from freezing. Summer months are a different story and we ventilate big time by removing the four side windows.

One mistake we made was trying to over-winter both chickens and ducks in the same coop. They got along fine but ducks are so messy with water it was like turning a preschool class loose with super soakers in the coop with freezing temperatures. Everything was caked in ice and frozen solid.

http://www.stonebriarfarm.com/hostedimages/coop.jpg

http://www.stonebriarfarm.com/hostedimages/ducks.jpg

nymapleman
12-12-2010, 06:46 AM
My 24 chickens (buff orpingtons, black australorps and arucanas) do just fine in a very well vented non=heated coop. It happened to go down to 8 degrees here last Thursday and all the girls do is fluff-up their feathers when going to roost. I do keep a light on so they will continue laying. I let them outside everyday. They seem to like eating snow. I do throw them a scoop of scratch (cracked corn, oats and wheat combined). If it is stormy out, they won't go out. But I still give them the option. I would recommend sealing off drafts but let the coop remain whatever temperature it is outside. Good ventilation is critical to a chicken's health. Most breeds can take the cold just fine.

red maples
12-12-2010, 07:54 AM
thanks guys,

So I should be fine then.

Reason I askes is because I read a book don't remember the name but the authur said he doesn't let chickens out if its under 30 degrees. I guess if you had a southern breed then that would be true. I always close them in at night. too many preditors, and I usually let them out the run after lunch time- early afternoon because of the hawks around here usually hunt in the morning hours. I have a total of 16 birds and the coop is about 5 x 12, If I remember right. and I do have power to the coop and run a light for 10 hrs. But I do need to pick up a water heater thing.

BryanEx
12-12-2010, 08:04 AM
I read a book don't remember the name but the authur said he doesn't let chickens out if its under 30 degrees.
Sounds to me that the author has "pet chickens". ;) Chickens aren't really smart but they know enough that if it's too cold they won't go out... and the water heater works great.

Heart Stone Farm
12-12-2010, 12:29 PM
We are just north of you in Milton, NH. We have a well ventilated coop and put a light over the water to keep it from freezing (and get a little warmth in the coop). We have had a problem (and did not get on top of it this year) with our Rhode Island Red rooster getting frostbite on his comb. A little bag balm on the coldest nights usually does the trick. Also, we use powdered lime as a base and then when the coop starts to smell a little. We just keep adding bedding all winter long, the composting action on the bottom (aided by the lime) starts producing natural heat. By March, we find the coop to be quite cozy. (We do the same for all of our animals.)

Good luck!

Goggleeye
12-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah, your birds will be fine. Our chickens decided that they didn't like the coop, and have taken to roosting in a cedar tree. Amazingly, predators have not been a problem for us letting them free range 24/7, but we have an awesome Great Pyrenees that patrols all night, and won't let a possum, coon, coyote, or anything get close. Although not as cold as what most of you have it, my birds have spent several windy nights below 15 in the cedar, and are doing just fine.

Mark