PDA

View Full Version : Looking for maple mustard recipe

ejmaple
12-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Does anyone have any good maple mustard recipes out there?

3rdgen.maple
12-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Good luck getting anyone to give that up lol or a couple other secret recipies.

Sugarmaker
12-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Ok, This is probably somewhere else on the trader, and someone gave it to me so here goes. This is not hard to make. Try it and they will buy it!
(you can check out web page for our maple mustard product)
1. Boil 3/4 gallon of dark syrup (with acceptable flavor) to 240 deg F (use deep pan and watch it! May need some butter to keep boil down.)
2. Remove from heat.
3. Pour in Frenches mustard approx 1/2 gallon ( we buy them at Sam's Club).
4. Use a hand electric mixer to stir until consistent.
5. Can hot at 130 deg F approx.

I would recommend that you label " refrigerate ". Although it can set out for some time and still be very good.
Sorry have to go and eat some on a hamburger!:)

Regards,
Chris

Ausable
12-10-2010, 06:17 PM
----Sounds like Maple Mustard would be great on hot-soft-pretzels or on a coney dog.... -- even though I wasn't the one that asked for it -- thanks for the recipe --- Mike

3rdgen.maple
12-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Sugarmaker you gave me that recipe and made me promise not to tell a single person lol. Now they all know.

Bucket Head
12-10-2010, 11:54 PM
You go up to 240 degree's with it? Wow, is'nt that pretty close to soft sugar temperature? I have never made mustard, but would like to, but I would'nt have guessed that high on cooking the syrup down. Anyone else have recipe's they would be willing to share? Any foolproof maple BBQ recipe's out there?

Steve

3rdgen.maple
12-11-2010, 12:49 AM
LOL I would give you the BBQ recipe but I had to promise I wouldnt tell anyone. Sound familiar.

Russell Lampron
12-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Hey that sounds like the recipe that Jim Brown gave me! I like to use the spicy brown mustard. Yum!

stoweski
12-11-2010, 06:28 AM
My all time favorite maple mustard was from Cold Hollow Cider Mill in Waterbury, Vt. Unfortunately a couple years ago they stopped doing business with the person who made it (they told me he couldn't keep up with demand at the store) and they went with someone else. The recipe changed and I stopped buying it because it didn't taste even close to the other one. :(

I used it on my lunch sandwiches since I liked a sweet flavor mustard without the horseradish. A lot of recipes I've found for maple mustard have a touch of horseradish or are spicy - not necessarily what I want from a maple mustard.

SO... if YOU are the guy who used to sell your maple mustard to Cold Hollow shoot me an email, I'd love to get my hands on some more of that!!! :D

As for a maple mustard recipe, sorry, I'm still looking too.
Keith

3rdgen.maple
12-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Sugarmakers recipe is very good. Made a few batches myself with both spicy mustard and regular.

Father & Son
12-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Bucket Head,
I use the same ratios as Sugarmaker but I boil my syrup to 250 and have never had any problems. The mustard must prevent any granulation. The reason I go with a higher temp is I like a thicker end product. The only thing I can add is be very careful when pouring the mustard in and stirring not to splash any hot syrup on your hands. Tuff lesson learned.

Jim

Bucket Head
12-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Jim,

Like I said, I would'nt have thought to go that high on the temp., but it makes sense with wanting a thicker product. Nobody wants a mustard that runs off a sandwich, lol. Thanks for the info.

Steve

Hurry Hill Farm
12-12-2010, 09:08 PM
One other little hint that is helpful is how to make it thicker. After taking
1 1/2 gallons of pure maple syrup to 240 degrees (I like dark syrup but any amber is ok. 250 degrees is a little to hot for me - you run the risk of burning it.) I put in 1 gallon of French's mustard and stir. (Never use Heinz - it is has too much vinegar) I usually want a thicker mustard so it can be used for dipping pretzels, so I then stir in a little maple crumb to thicken it. If I can it in glass, I heat the glass bottles in a cake pan in the oven (200-220 degrees) and then using silicone oven mitts (Walmart $5/pair) can the mustard at 180 degrees. I have the lids in boiling water to sterilize, put them on and turn jar on its side to cool (just like you can syrup). Put on a nice label, listing ingredients. I sell for $5 or $5.25 for a small 8 oz jar. It sells nicely and looks great.

Hurry Hill Farm
Edinboro PA

Jim Brown
12-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Janet; Haven't heard from you lately thought you may be "snowed in!
LOL

Jim

Bucket Head
12-13-2010, 10:27 AM
This might be a dumb question, but since I did'nt realize how easy maple mustard was, is maple BBQ made the same way? Take some of your favorite off-the-shelf BBQ and add the syrup? More or less syrup than the mustard? Any tried and true recipes out there for BBQ?

Thanks,
Steve

Sugarmaker
12-13-2010, 12:39 PM
3rdgen,
Guess I am getting a little soft in my old age:)
BTW (Jan) about two posts ago ( Hurry Hill) gave me this recipe and I am just passing on a very good maple product.
And your right Jim Brown has taken this recipe to new heights!
The maple BBQ is a more closely guarded secret:)

Regards,
Chris

3rdgen.maple
12-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Sugarmaker I have kept my promise and will go to the grave with it. But boy oh boy all I can say is that BBQ is some good stuff. :D

Sugarmaker
12-14-2010, 08:33 PM
3rdgen,
The Maple BBQ is a good recipe, only a few maple folks have it. Its not magic, but took some time to experiment and come up with something we like. Maybe after I make my millions on it I will post it too!
Chris

whalems
04-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Chris,

Just made a batch of your maple mustard. That is some GOOD STUFF right there!!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Mike

Sugarmaker
04-19-2011, 08:31 PM
We just developed two blends ["41911A" and "41911B"] of a Maple Salad dressing tonight. Had the base mixed up for a while and just added some additional ingredients for the early prototype trials. I know others have salad dressing recipes too. We have been a little slow in this area of value added product. Hoping we find folks that want another good maple product.
Trying to keep it simple and natural. I think you will love the taste on a fresh tossed salad!
So the maple salad dressing should be in a sugar house and web site near you soon:)

Regards,
Chris

batsofbedlam
06-13-2011, 07:04 AM
My wife made a batch of maple mustard using the recipe found here. I must say it is very good. After putting it in jelly jars, she processed it like she cans other things.
My question is, does this keep it from spoiling? I would think that between the vinegar in the mustard and the sugar in the syrup, that it would keep on a canning shelf and not need refrigeration until opened.
Any suggestions or comments?

Sugarmaker
06-15-2011, 08:58 PM
batsofbedlam,
Should keep fine without refrigeration for a long time, if not opened. The PH should be under the 4.5 number I think. After opening I believe you should refrigerate it.
Chris

firetech
06-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Sugarmaker what type of bottle do you use to put the mustard mix in?? My local bottle supplier is sugesting the salad dressing bottle. Will this work??