PDA

View Full Version : Fitting the Stack Cover

SeanD
12-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I made a stack cover that hinges open with the pull of a rope or cable. So, my first question is what people use as the rope. I'd like something tough and permanent so its not rotting over time and snapping in the middle of some March in the years ahead, but I'm afraid a cable may scratch up my metal roof. I was thinking clothesline cord. Any ideas?

Also, which direction do people have theirs flip open? Up to block the prevailing wind? Toward the cupola to block any sparks?

If I flip it up toward the cupola, I was thinking I could drill a small hole through the side of the cupola so I can open and close the cover from the inside. I don't see many ropes in sugar house photos, so I'm wondering if that's what people do already.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Flat47
12-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Wow, you really are opening a can of worms...

I think it's mostly personal preference. But, I was taught to have the stack cover hinge into the prevailing wind, that way the wind can't get under it and flip it open in the off season.

MartinP
12-09-2010, 06:51 PM
I use small chain. Works good and won't burn through,

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
12-18-2010, 04:57 AM
mine has 2 plastic coated cables on it, stiff as heck though.

danno
12-19-2010, 08:46 PM
I use an old sailboat (my other hobby) stay (stainless cable). I have a 16" cover on a 14" stack - so a bit of an overhang. Wind gets under it and blows it open abouut once a month - so I'd say hinge it to wind side.

SeanD
12-23-2010, 08:58 PM
I didn't put it up yet, but I did pick up some cable. I ended up getting some 5/16" galvanized. I was about to buy the clothesline cord (tough, light, won't scratch up the roof) when it occurred to me that it needs to be high heat resistant. If it happens to touch the side of the stack - slam! I go from sugar house to smoke house.

Thanks for the advice!

I can flip it against the prevailing wind, but then the cable will need to hook onto the side of the shack. So it will be rubbing against the edge of the metal roof when it's taught and rolling around on the surface when it is slack. Is that going to trash the roof over time or am I worried about nothing?

Sean

maple flats
12-24-2010, 06:02 AM
I haven't hooked up my new one yet, but from my 2x6 I still have the thin SS cable thru the roof. I pulled one side to open and the other side to close. After pulling in either direction I clipped a spring clamp to the pulled cable and the clamp was hooked on a nail on the wall of the sugarhouse. I never had the top open or close thus hooked.

SeanD
12-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Mapleflats, how did you go through the roof? Through the roof jack?

Sean

sap retreiver
02-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Any more ideas how to run the cable out to the cover?

SeanD
02-19-2016, 06:45 AM
I ended up just letting the cable hang onto the roof. I had originally thought the cable would grind against the roof and trash it. That metal roof was a lot of money! It wasn't the case and it's been 5 years.

When I boil, I just pull down to open the cap and then I wedge the cable in a crack where one of the battens meets the trim of a window or on the head tank stand that's right there. The trick is to remember to go out and open it. More than once I've remembered just as the match hits the paper.

Sean

Windy Acres
02-19-2016, 08:13 AM
13156this is how I did mine, the ropes just hook to the ladder or the platform by my head tank

Sugarmaker
02-19-2016, 04:28 PM
Well, I used 1/4 inch dia clothes line rope. came off the lid at a angle so that it would not get close tot he stack.
Then through the upper wall of my high part of the building and down the wall and in front of my sink. I can open it then wrap the rope around a couple nails.
Regards,
Chris

sap retreiver
02-21-2016, 09:38 PM
Cool thanks for the ideas

CampHamp
02-21-2016, 10:16 PM
I use stainless wire from Harbor Freight for 10 feet then tie to cord. I used to hang my line over the roof's edge, but was worried snow sliding off could pull on the stack, so moved the rope to the back of shack. Luckily, I can operate it from that side as well. The wind blew the lid shut while boiling once, so I now tie off the open line to prevent that (you could do the same if you are worried about it blowing open).