PDA

View Full Version : maple butter experiment bust?

ctjim
12-09-2010, 05:31 PM
well i tried my hand at making some maple butter with some fresh dairy butter and i think it was a bust. i had 1lb of butter and i then heated my 16oz of syrup to just under 234*f and then added it to the butter which was soft in my wifes kitchen aid mixer bowl and then turned on the mixer and let it go for about 20min. it looked ok so i let it sit and cool a bit b4 i put it into a container. i let it cool and came back to find that the mixture was liquidy instead of a nice whipped consistancy, and the butter seemed like it was seperating from the syrup into little bbs of butter. can someone give me some hints to what i did wrong and also give me some tips for making the maple butter. thanks jim

red maples
12-09-2010, 09:03 PM
never made it like that I just whip the butter until its just smooth and add the syrup cool-same temp as the butter- in a steady steam if its too hot the butter will melt and separate into oil and remaining milk solids you loose that natural emulsification and get the mess that sounds like you got. Practice on a little cheaper butter.

ctjim
12-10-2010, 05:28 AM
i had got the butter for free from my brother, he got it from a client. the recipe i followed was posted on this site, next time i'll try it cold and see what happens maybe i'll use 1 of the cheap butter spreads.

maplwrks
12-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Jim---Try cooling your syrup to room temp before mixing. I have done it the same way that you did it and the syrup just crystallizes. If you cool it, it will be fluffy.

ctjim
12-10-2010, 03:53 PM
thanks maplwrks, i will try that next time.